Senna leaves are the leaves of the Senna plant, which is botanically known as Cassia angustifolia or Cassia senna. These leaves are primarily used for their laxative properties and have been utilized for centuries in traditional medicine systems, such as Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine, as a natural remedy for constipation and other digestive issues.
- Constipation: Senna leaves can be used to alleviate occasional constipation by promoting bowel movements.
- Laxative: Senna is employed as a natural laxative to relieve temporary irregularity in bowel movements.
- Preoperative Bowel Preparation: Senna may be used in some medical settings to prepare the bowel for certain surgical procedures or medical examinations.
- Relief from Anal Fissures: Senna-based laxatives may help soften stools, making bowel movements less painful for individuals with anal fissures.
- Managing Opioid-Induced Constipation: In some cases, Senna can be used as part of a regimen to manage constipation caused by opioid medications.
- Promoting Regularity: Senna leaves are used to establish regular bowel habits when short-term intervention is necessary.
- Treatment of Haemorrhoids: Senna may be used to avoid straining during bowel movements, which can worsen haemorrhoids.
- Colon Cleansing: Senna is sometimes utilized in colon cleansing regimens, either for medical or alternative health purposes.
- Adjunctive Treatment for Weight Management: In some weight loss supplements, Senna may be included, as it can lead to temporary weight loss due to increased bowel movements. However, this is not a recommended or safe method for sustainable weight loss.
- Add into water and boil as a tea
- blend into a powder and take 1 tablespoon with plenty of water